I am so happy to announce that this is my first post for the Secret Recipe Club! This is a fabulous idea that I am so happy to be apart of. Basically, each member is assigned another participating blogger, and you are to choose a recipe from their blog to make for yourself. You can choose any recipe you want. Just make it, and blog about it on the previously specified date. Simple, no? Interested in joining? Click here for more details!
And now onto my assigned blogger…
This month I was assigned Ewa from the amazing delishhh.com. Upon looking through her recipe index I found many, many things I wanted to make. She had so many beautiful recipes, but I ultimately went with her strawberry rhubarb pie. This is a baking blog, and I wanted to keep things on the sweet side.
I chose this recipe for a few reasons…
- I have never made a strawberry rhubarb pie before, and this was the perfect chance to have one at my disposal.
- Rhubarb is in season right now.
- My bf had never had a strawberry rhubarb pie before, and I had to change this IMMEDIATELY.
If you are new to rhubarb you should know a few things.
You can not eat the leaves! Grocery stores typically do not sell the stalks with the leaves so this shouldn’t be an issue…it’s just something to keep in mind. And it is very, very tart. Hence the reason why it pairs perfectly with sweet strawberries.
If you like things on the sweet side, stick with the strawberries in your pie. If you like things tart, try only using rhubarb for a fun spring pie.
I decided to switch things up a little with Ewa’s recipe. I added a little ginger into the filling, and instead of the traditional 2 crust pie I went with a crumble topping. Either way, the pie is fantastic.
You can use my pie crust recipe that I recently perfected. If you haven’t made your own crust before I encourage you to try! The results are much better then anything you can buy pre-made from the store.
- 1 1/4 cups
- 1/3 cup organic flour
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups quartered organic strawberries
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb (I just estimated, and used about 3 stalks worth)
- 2 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup cold organic unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup organic flour
- 1/4 cup organic white sugar
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
To Make the Pie
- Pre-heat the oven to 400º F and make the crust.
- Roll out the crust to about 9 inches, and lay in your pie pan. Bake for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the 1 1/4 cups sugar, flour, and spices. Cut up the fruit and mix into the dry stuff, coat evenly.
- To make the crumble topping: simply mix together the flour, sugars, and oats and cut in the butter. It should form large crumbles that stick together.
- Pour the filling into the baked crust, and dot with the 2 tbsp butter. Top with the crumbles and bake for about an hour, or until the filling is bubbly and the top is nicely browned.
- Allow the pie to set (and cool) for at least an hour before serving.
The day after I made the pie I went home for the night. When I got back to my apartment the next day, I found the pie destroyed. My BF couldn’t even wait to dig in, and completely devoured the pie. I knew this would be an addicting pie…