After moving into a new house in a different state for the summer I was feeling a little homesick. This is my parents house, and luckily I’m not living alone for the summer.
But I still wanted something to comfort me.
For me chocolate = comfort. Not in the way that I have to have it, but it warms me up and makes me feel better.
That must by why chocolate was the candy of choice to get rid of the feelings dementors leave behind…
I really wanted to make cookies. Cookies are homey, comforting, and they make the whole house smell good. And of course, what’s better then a chocolate cookie?
After looking through my cabinet I found cocoa powder and candied ginger…perfect! I love chocolate covered candied ginger. This was bound to be a winner.
The cookies are rich and chewy, and the ginger is a nice surprise. And they are irresistible when dipped in a glass of ice cold milk.
If you make these cookies, I hope they fill your house with the wonderful scent and feeling of home.
Chocolate Cookies with Candied Ginger
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3-4 tbsp chopped candied ginger
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF and line a cookie sheet.
- Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Beat in the egg, and vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Mix into the butter mixture, then fold in the candied ginger.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes (depending on the size of your cookies) and enjoy!