I am so excited to be participating in another #SundaySupper! It’s been a while since I’ve been able to join in on the fun, but this weekend finally worked out.
This #SundaySupper is focused on showers – as in baby and bridal showers.
This time of year is lovely for both of those things. So I tried to think of something “springy.”
My bf is a big fan of strawberry rhubarb pie and suggests it often. Strawberry rhubarb screams spring to me, so I decided to go with it this time and make little hand pies.
I like the half moon shape of the hand pies, but if you want a fun shape go for it! Hearts would be cute.
Thank you to Isabel at Family Foodie for letting me jump in on this one and Liz Lange for helping plan the perfect shower! And don’t forget to check out the other #SundaySupper recipes from Renee at Magnolia Day and Sunithi at Sue’s Nutrition Buzz.
Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pies
- 1/2 recipe pie dough from this post
- 1/2 lb washed and quartered strawberries
- 1 cup sliced frozen organic rhubarb
- 2 tbsp water
- 6 tbsp turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
To Make the Pies:
- Make the pie dough and wrap in plastic wrap. Store in the fridge until you are ready to use, or at least 1 hour. After 1 hour preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a small bowl mix together the strawberries and 2 tbsp sugar. Set aside. In a pot over medium heat mix together the rhubarb, water, and 2 tbsp sugar, stir frequently. Cook until it forms a thick sauce like product. Remove from the heat and pour over the strawberries. Mix it all together until the strawberries are coated in the rhubarb sauce. Set aside.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out, on a lightly floured surface, to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out 4 inch circle (or any other shape you want) and place a scoop of the strawberry mixture in the center – leaving enough room to fold it over. Fold over the dough and crimp the edges. Brush the top with the heavy cream and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake the pies for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet, serve warm.