Usually when fall and winter roll around I am super bummed out.
Losing all the wonderful spring and summer produce can suck. Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits.
But this year I was excited to see what fall and winter would have in store.
Besides the delicious items mentioned above, Meyer lemons and pomegranates are popular fall fruits.
The first day I saw Meyer lemons at the store I picked up 2 bags. I already knew I wanted to make curd.
I also picked up a few pomegranates when I first saw them. They were bright pink, bruise free, and heavy. A sign of good fruit!
Once I finished with the curd I knew I needed to do something with it.
To balance the brightness of the curd I mixed it with cream cheese, and poured that into a crunchy crust.
The pomegranate arils inspiration came from an amazing looking cheesecake I saw on Beth Michelle. They are a must on the tart. The flavorful pop compliments the creamy layer perfectly.
If you want something a bit lighter to go with your pecan pie at Thanksgiving I highly recommend this tart!
Pomegranate Meyer Lemon Tart
Curd Recipe from Food in Jars
- I used the crust recipe from the Twix Bars – it’s delicious!
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- generous 1/2 cup freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter cut into chunks
- zest from the Meyer lemons
- 1 – 8 oz block cream cheese, at room temperature
- Pomegranate arils from 2 pomegranates
To Make the Curd:
- In a small pan whisk together the egg yolks and sugar over medium low heat.
- Slowly start to whisk in the lemon juice. Switch to stirring with a wooden spoon once the lemon juice is all added.
- Continue to stir over medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Also make sure that the mixture never boils!
- Remove from the heat and drop in the butter chunks, stirring until fully incorporated. Add the zest and stir until well mixed.
- Allow to cool completely. Store in the fridge until ready to make the tart.
To Make the Tart:
- In your stand mixer, or using a hand mixer, mix the cream cheese until smooth.
- Once completely smooth stir in 1 cup of the meyer lemon curd. Stir the mixture until fully incorporated.
- Pour into the pre-baked and cooled crust, top with the pomegranate arils.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight, or until set.