I can not believe Thanksgiving is right around the corner. I am not prepared for a day full of eating!
Well…maybe I am.
About a week ago I bought a package of 6 mini graham cracker pie crusts. I had every intention of making something like Cakespy’s Ice Cream Pudding Pie, I just never got around to getting any ice cream.
Since I already had crusts, pie was the next best thing. I figured I should get myself ready for Thanksgiving, and make some pumpkin pie.
I am still working on that same pumpkin puree, so this was a good recipe to help put another dent in that.
If anyone is looking for a great variation on the traditional pumpkin pie, this is your recipe!
Personal Pumpkin Pies
I adapted this recipe from Bakerella’s Pumpkin Pie Bites to make my own personal sized pumpkin pies.
- 8oz organic cream cheese
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 1 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 TSP vanilla
- 1/2 TSP pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 TSP ginger
- 1/2 TSP cinnamon
- 1/2 TSP nutmeg
How to make personal pumpkin pies:
- Pre-heat oven to 350º F
- Mix everything together until thoroughly combined. The mix will be chunky.
- Pour mixture into each crust. I filled mine the whole way up.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until no longer jiggly in the middle.
- Let them cool on a baking rack, refrigerate or serve immediately.
We could hardly wait to try them. They only cooled 10 minutes before we dug in. The result when still warm – cakey pie. The flavor was delicious, but the texture was a little weird. After being refrigerated the pies tasted much more pumpkin pie-ish. The texture was a little more creamy and custardy, not as cakey. Each pie is big enough to fit a big scoop of ice cream, or pile of whipped cream on top. But, I unfortunately did not have either of those things.
What I would have done differently:
First let me say, Bakerella’s recipe was fabulous. But, I do think it is much better suited for the mini pie bites instead of a personal sized pie. The next time I make these I plan on changing my mixing steps. Here is what I plan to do for my Thanksgiving pumpkin pies:
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Mix together the cream cheese, sugar, and spices until smooth.
- Mix in the fresh pumpkin puree until one uniform mixture.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time. Then add in the vanilla.
- Pour into the crusts and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until no longer jiggly in the middle.
These steps are similar to making a cheesecake, so my theory is it will provide a smoother filling, and eliminate the cream cheese chunk effect. Once again, feel free to serve the pies with a big scoop of ice cream, or whipped cream.
If anyone make these pies following the second set of steps before I get a chance, I’d love to know how they turn out!