I wanted to have something else besides pecan pie to bring to my friends on Thanksgiving. I was thinking about doing something else slightly non-traditional.
My family was bugging me to make a pumpkin pie. And I figured, it wouldn’t really be Thanksgiving with out pumpkin pie. So, I went looking for a trusted pumpkin pie recipe to feed my family and friends.
In my search I stumbled upon something way better than regular pumpkin pie.
I found this Double Layer Pumpkin Pie from Tasty Kitchen. This pie has a creamy layer, and a pumpkin-y layer. Both families loved it. And I have to agree, it is pretty darn delicious.
The main thing that people seemed to like is the pie felt very light. This was great to have sitting next to the cranberry pecan pie. It gave people a chance to feel like they were indulging with the pecan pie, then still able to have some of the lighter pumpkin pie with out going over board.
Creamy Double Layer Pumpkin Pie
- 8 oz block cream cheese, softened to room temp.
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 8 oz tub of cool whip, plus more for serving
- 1 cup milk
- 1 – 16 oz can of pumpkin
- 2 packages instant vanilla pudding (3.3 oz boxes)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 pre made graham cracker crusts
To make the pie:
- Mix together the cream cheese, milk and sugar until completely smooth
- Fold in the cool whip
- Spread the mixture into the bottom of the crusts. I highly advise making 2 pies. When I made this at home, there was a ton of both mixtures!
- Blend together the milk, pumpkin, pudding, and spices – it should be very thick.
- Divide evenly, and pour over the creamy layer.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours before serving. I recommend letting the pie chill over night.
This pie has almost a mousse like quality. It is light and silky and delicious.
And it looks pretty on any holiday table! Speaking of that..I didn’t get a chance to get a picture of the profile of a piece of pie, it was gone that fast!