Blueberries are amazing.
Besides tasting so delicious, blueberries have many nutritional benefits.
- One serving = 14 mg Vitamin C (nearly 20% Daily Recommended Value)
- They are high in dietary fiber! Try to eat a handful a day to keep your heart healthy and cholesterol under control.
- Blueberries are full of antioxidants. You can fight free radicals all day long with a serving of blueberries.
It was also so lovely to be able to life the whole pie out of the pan and set it out as a center piece.
For those purists, this crust is flakier and much more buttery than the traditional crust. It may be a little thicker, but it is so good. I do have to admit that it doesn’t brown up quite as nicely as a traditional crust. So if you are looking for the golden brown crust when baking, you will completely over bake the pie before it gets there.
Top off your pie with a scoop of caramel ice cream (like the BF and I decided to do), eat it with some whipped cream, or just enjoy as is. You can’t go wrong.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh organic blueberries
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- zest from half a lemon
- juice from half a lemon
- pie crust recipe here!
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place tart pan on baking sheet.
- Make the pie crust according to directions. Keep wrapped in plastic wrap in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large bowl mix together the blueberries, sugar, flour, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Remove the dough and roll out half of it on a lightly floured surface. You want the dough to be bigger than your pan. Carefully move the dough into the pan. If you happen to tear the dough just pinch it back together, or patch with any extra dough you might have left over.
- Bake the dough for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out the other half of the dough and either cut in to strips, shapes, or leave as 1 piece – this will be the top of your pie.
- Fill the crust with the berries, and place remaining dough on top of berries.
- Bake the pie for 45 minutes to an hour. You will know the pie is done with it is bubbling.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
If you are interested in some more blueberry recipes, take a a look at some of the things I have made.All delicious, different, and super easy. Just like this pie.