To celebrate spring break, Pi Day, and the end of my first giveaway I decided to make a crostata. I know that sounds silly. BFB is celebrating with a crostata? Why not something like cake, or pie?
Well, because I was on spring break and away from my normal kitchen/supplies I had to work with what was available to me. I also was trying to avoid having to buy things like flour, sugar, baking soda…etc.
Another reason to love crostata recipes: they don’t require a particular type of pan, just a normal cookie sheet.
Making this crostata couldn’t be easier. All you need to do is cut up the fruit, roll out the crust, assemble, and fold. If you want to make a crostata like this you can use any fruit that is in season, and your favorite pie crust recipe. Crostatas are flexible & allow room for creativity.
How to Make a Crostata
1 pint organic strawberries
1 pint organic blueberries
1 package pre-made pie crusts
1 organic egg
4 tbsp organic sugar (it can be brown, white, turbinado, etc.)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350º F and grease or line a baking sheet.
- Wash the fruit, and cut into pieces. Toss fruit with 2 tbsp of sugar. Adjust the sugar amount according to how ripe the fruit is.
- Unroll 1 of the pie crusts & fill with about 1 1/2 cups of fruit. Leave 1 inch crust around the pile of fruit. Fold up the edges in a decorative design.
- Repeat with the second crust.
- Beat the egg and brush over the crusts of the crostata. Sprinkle each crostata with 1 tbsp of brown sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
Remember these cute little baking items?
Well I finally got around to picking a winner of the giveaway! It’s my pleasure to announce…
The Winner of the First BFB Giveaway is:
Zenobia from Raw Girl in Mumbai!
Congratulations!Don’t forget to head over to Zenobia’s blog for some delicious, and healthy recipes! And thank you all so much for participating. Keep an eye out for the announcement of my next giveaway.