Sunday, before I started school for the spring semester, was intended to be a relaxing day.
My #SundaySupper post was up, I had been productive, and the day was going smoothly. So I decided to make some smoothies with my Vitamix (lovingly named Blendy by the boyfriend).
Side note: This wasn’t the first time I had used a Vitamix … This wasn’t even this first time I had used Blendy. But the error I made was so silly you’d think I’d never touched a blender before.
This is what happened…
I happily made a cup of coffee, stirred in a tablespoon of sugar and 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder then let it chill in the refrigerator.
Then I chopped up 2 bananas and dumped them into the Vitamix, added the coffee, 1/2 a cup of milk and a cup of ice.
After I blended this to my hearts content I gave it a taste. The texture, thickness and flavor were perfect. So, I set up a little area on the counter to take a few pictures, grabbed a glass then went to move the Vitamix back a bit.
I think you have an idea of what might have happened… If not, here’s a little play by play.
With glass in hand I attempted to push back the base of Blendy (I had already given the smoothie a taste so the lid was off – mistake 1).
My arm bumped into the On/Off switch and sent smoothie everywhere (I hadn’t unplugged the Vitamix once I was done – mistake 2).
Luckily I didn’t drop my glass and was able to quickly flip the switch, saving most of my smoothie. Unfortunately it was too late for my kitchen.
This was definitely the biggest mess I’ve ever seen in my kitchen… The BF said that moment alone was worth every penny he paid for the Vitamix.
Morale of the story? Take the container off the base to taste anything, and don’t forget to unplug your blender immediately!
Chocolate Banana Smoothie
Recipe adapted from the Vitamix Recipe Book – makes 3 cups
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 cup regular coffee, cooled to room temperature
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 cup half and half
To Make the Smoothie:
- Whisk the cocoa powder and sugar into the coffee while it’s hot, then set aside to cool.
- Once the coffee is cool, layer the ingredients in your blender in the order they are listed.
- Switch the blender to low while still off. When ready to blend make sure the lid is secure and turn it on, then switch to high. Blend for 15-25 seconds, or until smooth.
- Taste and adjust sweetness or consistency as needed.
- Pour into 2 glasses and enjoy.