It’s getting to be the time of year when berries are in almost in season! Yay!
All types of berries are good, but strawberries are one of my favorite. It’s hard to resist the sweet juicy berries.
And all though they are not quite at the peak of their season, I couldn’t resist buying some.
I wasn’t sure what to make first. The bf suggested strawberry rhubarb anything (his favorite) but there is not any decent rhubarb available yet.
Muffins sounded pretty good. They are easy to share and perfect for a quick breakfast.
The toasted coconut melts into the muffin as it bakes. Feel free to use a less finely shredded coconut if you want to have more coconut texture in your muffin. You can also sprinkle some turbinado sugar on top for a little crunch.
What’s your favorite berry?
Strawberry Coconut Muffins
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut, toasted
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 7-8 medium-largish strawberries, chopped
To Make the Muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line your muffin pan with liners or grease with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl mix together the coconut, flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. In a separate smaller bowl whisk the eggs into the milk. Add the extract to the mixture.
- Stir the egg and milk mixture into the flour bowl. Mix in the oil then fold in the strawberries.
- Scoop the batter into the pan, filling each cup 2/3 the way full. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar if you want.
- Bake the muffins for 15-17 minutes, or until they pass the toothpick test. Cool for 3-5 minutes in the pan then cool completely on a wire rack. Store in a plastic bag for up to 5 days. Yields 24 muffins.
Check out some more delicious strawberry recipes: