Today is my sister’s sweet sixteen. I wanted to make her something different then the usual yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Don’t get me wrong, I love yellow cake with chocolate frosting any day! But fall is right around the corner and I wanted to do something as a final goodbye to summer.
Strawberry cupcakes seemed like the perfect idea. And they are pink! What 16 year old girl doesn’t like pink cake?
I made this strawberry frosting to go with these. It is AMAZING and has a ton of strawberry flavor.
- 2/3 cup whole organic strawberries, fresh or thawed from frozen.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached organic white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup organic milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 stick organic unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup organic white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites at room temperature
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and line your pan with cupcake liners.
- Cut up the strawberries into half or quarters and puree. Measure out 1/3 cup and set aside any left over puree for frosting. In a small bowl or cup mix the 1/3 cup puree with the organic milk and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set that aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Slowly add in the organic sugar and beat until it is a pale yellow color and fluffy.
- Mix in the egg until it is just barely incorporated. Add in the egg whites 1 at a time until just incorporated.
- Beat in the flour mix very slowly, making sure not to over mix or let the flour poof up. Add in 2-3 parts if its easier that way. Be sure to scrape down the sides if you need to.
- Spoon the batter evenly to make 12 cupcakes.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes, when a toothpick is inserted it will come out clean. Try and wait for these to cool before you frost them!