It’s time for another edition of Holiday Recipe Club! Today’s theme is St. Patrick’s Day. The required ingredients for this hop included potatoes, pistachios and beer! Want to join the fun? Contact me here!
As I said, this hop’s theme is St. Patrick’s Day.
A few people jumped the gun and helped me pick the ingredients. It was so nice to have the suggestions! Keep them coming!
We ended up with potatoes and beer – to keep it Irish – and pistachios for something green.
There were a lot of inspiring Pinterest boards…it was hard to decide on anything.
I was tempted to go crazy with something like green beer, but I couldn’t resist a cupcake recipe.
These cupcakes are dense and reminiscent of muffins. The strawberry swiss meringue buttercream is not at all necessary, but a good way to sweeten the cake.
It’s also a great recipe to welcome spring!
What are your plans for St. Patrick’s Day?
Pistachio Cupcakes with Strawberries
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup whole pistachios – you want the unsalted kind!
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (split)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with liners. Coarsely chop the 1/4 cup pistachios and set aside.
- Grind 1 cup of the whole pistachios, 3/4 cup sugar, and salt until finely ground. Whisk the pistachio mixture with the flour, set aside.
- In your stand mixer cream 3/4 cup sugar and and the butter until smooth. About 5 minutes. Mix in the eggs, 1 at a time until just incorporated. Mix in the vanilla.
- Using a spatula fold in the flour and pistachio mixture until just incorporated. Do not over mix!
- Evenly divide the batter into 12-15 cupcake liners. Evenly top each cupcake with chopped strawberries and chopped pistachios. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until they pass the toothpick test.
If you plan on frosting the cupcakes allow them to cool completely before frosting.
Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 8 ounces strawberries, chopped and pureed until smooth
- 4 large egg whites (6 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar (10 ounces)
- 3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature, cubed
- Pinch of salt
To Make the Strawberry Frosting:
- If you haven’t already wash and cut the strawberries, discarding the tops. Puree with a pinch of salt until smooth. Set aside. Cube the butter and set it aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer combine the sugar and egg whites. Whisk together over a double boiler of simmering water. Make sure the bowl is not touching the water! Keep whisking until the egg whites are hot to the touch, and the sugar is completely dissolved (you will be able to tell if you touch the egg whites – just be careful not to burn yourself!)
- Once the egg whites are hot and the sugar is dissolved, attach the bowl to the mixer and with the whisk attachment whip the mixture to stiff peaks.
- Once you have stiff peaks switch to the paddle attachment. Start mixing on medium speed while slowly adding in the cubed butter pieces. Continue mixing until all of the butter is incorporated and the mixture no longer looks curdled. Switch to low speed and pour in the strawberry puree. Mix until the frosting comes back together and is fluffy.
Scoop into a piping bag or place in the fridge until the cupcakes are completely cool and ready to frost.
Don’t forget to check out all of the other Holiday Recipe Club participants!