Things that are bad for my New Year’s resolutions…
Online shopping and browsing the internet with a chocolate craving.
When I saw pictures for black bottom cheesecake cupcakes, I knew they were in my future.
When a chocolate cupcake recipe includes thing like coffee and cinnamon you know it’s going to be good. I could not wait to get started.
Unfortunately, something went wrong…
When I pulled them out of the oven I was so disappointed! My cupcakes didn’t look nearly as impressive as the ones from the original recipe.
I am not sure what happened during the baking process, but my black bottom cupcakes turned out with a not so black bottom. My cheesecake mixture had sunk.
But, I decided to give my cupcakes a chance. They tasted amazing! The cinnamon, coffee, and chocolate compliment each other perfectly. Not a fail at all!
The cheesecake bottom and white chocolate chips added a lovely texture contrast as well.
Black Bottom Cheesecake Cupcakes
Recipe from Sweets by Sillianah
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups organic flour
- 3/4 cup organic unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong coffee @ room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil*
- 2 eggs
- 1 – 8 0z block of cream cheese
- 4 tbsp organic white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp organic flour
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips*
*Recipe Note: I used organic coconut oil in place of the vegetable oil, and instead of chocolate chips I used white chocolate chips.
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350º F and grease/line 2 cupcake pans (or enough for 24 cupcakes)
- *Whisk together the brown sugar, 1 3/4 cups flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Mix in the buttermilk, coffee, oil, and eggs.
- Mix until smooth.
- Fill each cupcake about halfway.
*Note: in the original recipe it didn’t mention exactly where to mix in the brown sugar, so I added it in at the beginning with the dry ingredients.
To Make the Cheesecake Topping:
- Mix together the white sugar, and cream cheese.
- Add the eggs and flour, mix well.
- Add a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture to the top of the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle chips over the top of your cupcakes.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Now that January is over, I’d love to hear how your first month of resolutions went. Did you stick to what you had decided? Do things need some adjusting?