One of my favorite store bough cakes when I was growing up was angel food cake.
Top it with a little fresh fruit or whipped cream, or even in a trifle it is just heavenly.
Angel food cupcakes were the perfect single serving size. Good for an easy dessert or tasty snack.
One thing I would change about how I made my cupcakes is my preparedness. I did not have my little stands positioned the right distance apart and ended up smashed a few of my cupcakes.
Note: I made my trifle with 1 cupcake, 2 strawberries, a few spoonfuls of vanilla pudding and a mint garnish. It was tasty and super easy!
Angel Food Cupcakes
- 12 large egg whites (about 1 1/2 cups), room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1/8 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Line 2 cupcake tins with cupcake liners and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place the rack in the bottom third of the oven. Mix together the powdered sugar, cake flour and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using your stand mixer with the whisk attachment beat the egg whites on medium speed until frothy. Add the cream of tartar then continue to beat at medium speed until soft peaks form (5 minutes for me in my stand mixer).
- With the mixer still on medium speed and soft peaks achieved gradually add in the sugar. Once the whites start to stiffen add in the vanilla.
- Remove the bowl from your mixer and sprinkle a third of the dry mix over the egg whites. Gently fold the dry mix in. Continue this process 2 more times until the dry mix is completely incorporated.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them almost completely. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Once baked flip the pans over onto something to stabilize them on each side. If the cupcakes are stuck to the pan in any spots they won’t fall out, don’t worry. Let them cool upside down in the pan to help retain their height.
- Store in an airtight container. Makes about 36 regular sized cupcakes.