Last week I saw something on Twitter I had never considered making before, homemade carmel corn.
Caramel corn makes me think of the boy scouts that use to sell popcorn in my neighborhood. I bought some from their popcorn sale every year.
One of my favorite things about caramel corn is the combination of salty and sweet flavors. It is so addicting!
If you find yourself craving a salty sweet snack, you should make this simple homemade caramel corn. It feeds the cravings and doesn’t take very long to make.
The recipe only calls for 7 ingredients, many of which you probably already have. And caramel corn can be made in the microwave, how great is that?! It’s GREAT if you need a quick snack.
Caramel corn is perfect for movie nights, date nights, or for a quick homemade present. Popcorn gifts are great for people of all ages!
Homemade Caramel Corn
- 2 bags microwave popcorn
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 cup molasses
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 TSP vanilla
- 1/2 TSP baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 TSP of cinnamon (optional)
If you don’t have any molasses you can do 1/4 cup light corn syrup. You could also sub a different nut for the pecans.
- Pop your popcorn. Mix together the chopped nuts and the popped popcorn. Set that mixture aside.
- Add the brown sugar, corn syrup, and molasses to a bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the brown sugar mixture.
- Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir.
- Microwave for 2 minutes, and stir. Repeat until mixture is hot and bubbly.
- Stir in the vanilla, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. The mixture will become a little foamy.
- Pour over the popcorn and nuts, stir until the popcorn is evenly coated.
At this point you need to make a decision, do you want a chewy snack…or a crunchy snack?
If you choose crunchy…
- Preheat your oven to 250º F
- Pour carmel corn on to a lined baking sheet. Try to make it as much of one single layer as you can manage.
- Bake for 5 minutes and stir. Continue this process until the popcorn is as crunchy as you want it. This shouldn’t end up being more than 20 minutes of baking.
The carmel corn will harden a little as it cools. Once it is cool and able to be eaten/handled, break it into large pieces and enjoy!
Your sweetie will be so impressed with this quick snack. Especially if you have a bf like me that likes to snack then be on his way!
This recipe would be perfect for Valentine’s Day. You can make it the day before, then leave it out for the love of your life to enjoy all day long.