August was a whirl wind of a month. It came and all of the sudden it is the 22nd! It wasn’t until the 17th that I realized I still needed to bake for this month’s SRC. I was looking through Wendy’s lovely blog and I came across a Cardamom Lavender Honey Caramel Peach Pie. It sounded so delicious with the local lavender honey, but I did not have enough peaches and I was pressed for time. And then my mind wandered to her Strawberry Balsamic Jam, but knew I wouldn’t have the time to do the jar sterilization. And finally I landed on her Too Much Chocolate Cake.
I was happy to find her recipe because I don’t have a chocolate cake that is quick and delicious. This one is perfect if you have a chocolate craving, or just in the mood to bake something decadent.
Wendy baked her cake in 1 bundt pan, but I did mine in these 2 that I found for a dollar a piece at Goodwill. Wendy also suggested topping with chocolate sauce or powdered sugar. I decided to serve mine with a scoop of homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream. This is perfect for a special occasion or holiday due to is quick prep time and delicious results! It also has endless topping or serving compliments. Ice cream, chocolate, caramel, fruit, whipped cream…you can be as creative as you want.
Quick Chocolate Cakes
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix (18.25 oz)
- 1 box instant chocolate pudding (5.9 oz)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup olive oil (she used veggie, use your favorite)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup chocolate chips (Wendy used 2 cups – my sis doesn’t like them in cake much)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Thoroughly grease the bundt pans (or pan).
- In a large bowl mix together the cake mix, chocolate pudding, sour cream, oil, eggs, and water – just until mixed!
- Carefully fold in the chocolate chips. Pour batter into pans and set pans on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 45 – 55 minutes, depending on your oven. Cakes are done with an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool fully before inverting onto serving plates.