A few months ago, when I was clicking through the blog hop on a Secret Recipe Club reveal day, I stumbled upon this decedent dessert. The recipe I saw was on A Bountiful Kitchen but is originally seen on Betcha Can’t Eat Just One. I bow my head to both of these ladies for sharing this amazing creation with the food world.
I stopped and stared at the first picture… It had a layers upon layers of deliciousness. Chocolate chip cookie dough topped with Oreo’s, caramel sauce and brownie batter baked in to a bar of perfection? Sign me up! There isn’t much more you can ask for from a dessert.
This recipe was on my mind for weeks. I was craving every component the recipe had to offer. And finally I caved. I rushed home from a long day a work and whipped up a huge pan of the bars.
Lucky for us, the recipe is super simple. Cookie dough, store bought caramel, Oreo’s, and brownie batter. You could use mixes instead of making your cookie dough and brownie batter, but we all know it’s not the same! Either way I promise you won’t be disappointed.
Brownie Cookie Caramel Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 package Oreo’s (organic recommendation: Newman’s Own)
- dulce de leche or a jar of caramel ice cream topping
- 1 box brownie mix or you can use my favorite recipe for homemade brownies
To Make the Delicious Bars:
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper. I find it easiest to grease the pan then line with parchment paper.
- In your stand mixer, or with a hand held mixer, cream the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the cookie dough into an even layer on the the bottom of the pan.
- Place the Oreo’s in rows on top of the cookie dough. Pour/spread the caramel over the Oreo’s.
- Prepare the brownie batter as directed and spread over the caramel layer. Smooth with a spatula.
- Bake on the center rack of your oven for 50 – 55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- Now this is the hardest part: allow the bars time to cool completely (about 2 hours) before cutting and serving. Otherwise they turn into a big soupy mess.