Today I am sharing another user submitted guest post with you on how to make a themed birthday cake! If you are interested in guest posting on BigFatBaker contact me here.
At some point in your life, you may want to make a themed birthday cake, whether it’s a dinosaur cake for a child’s party or another type of themed cake to make an adult’s party more festive.
Themed cakes require a little more effort to prepare than typical cakes. When you’re making a themed cake, you have to spend some extra time cutting the cake out into a fun shape and decorating the cake.
If you’re going to make a themed cake, here are some of the things you’ll probably need to do:
1. Bake the cake – Pick out what flavor cake you want to bake based on the preferences of the recipient of the cake. If you want to make a simple, vanilla cake, you can try out this recipe:
- 6 eggs
- 1 ¾ cup of milk
- 2 ¼ sticks of butter
- 4 cups of cake flour (sifted)
- 2 ½ cups of sugar
- 2 ¼ tablespoons of baking powder
Supplies: 2 large bowls, electric mixer, large square cake pan**
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the milk, eggs, and vanilla together in one bowl.
- Mix the butter, sugar, baking powder, and flour in another bowl for 2-3 minutes with your electric mixer.
- Combine the ingredients of both bowls and mix them together for a couple of minutes until they’re properly blended.
- Pour the cake batter into the large square pan and place the pan in the oven. Let the cake bake for around 30-35 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick through the center and it comes out dry.
- Let the cake cool for 15-20 minutes.
**You’ll need to put the cake in a square pan if you’re going to cut it into a fun shape.
2. Cut the cake – You’ll need an x-acto knife, pencil, and a cake leveler for this part of the process. And here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Draw the shape of the cake you want on a large sheet of wax paper using a pencil.
- Use the cake leveler to make the top of the cake flat.
- Place the wax paper on top of the square cake base.
- Use the x-acto knife to cut out the shape of your desired cake, using the drawing on the wax paper as your guide.
- Remove the wax paper.
3. Decorate the cake – You’ll need different colors of icing and other edible decorations for this part of the process. You can make your own icing with creamer, shortening, almond extract, confectioner’s sugar, water, and food coloring.
How you decorate the cake will depend on what kind of themed cake you’re making. If you’ve made a heart-shaped cake for Valentine’s Day or another special occasion like an anniversary, for instance, you’ll probably cover the cake in pink or red icing and draw some flowers in icing on the top of the cake.
Feel free to get creative as you decorate your themed cake. You can also add things like sprinkles and edible decorations on the cake to give it some extra pizzazz.
If you follow the steps above and get creative, you’ll be amazed by the wonderful themed cake creation you make!
Author’s Bio: Melissa is a party planner and guest blogger who writes about planning weddings and birthday parties for kids and how to make events special with fun things like Mario party supplies.